Forums

Topic: The Dungeon and Dragons Thread

Posts 641 to 644 of 644

Tasuki

@Tyranexx I know Tyranny is two adventure books in one. Originally it was published as two adventures and then they republished them as one since they do got together think of it like Infinity War movies how you had part one and part two. That's why I was confused when you said you were making new characters it be like if they had Captai. America, Iron Man, Hulk etc. in part 1 and then in part 2 they brought in a total new group of heroes and didn't say anything at all as to why they changed.

The only thing I can figure is unless your DM is going to kill all your characters or something like that so they want you to have a new character ready. If that's they case then that's a DM I wouldn't want to DM. But yeah to switch characters mid campaign is just odd.

If people.dont like their class they can always just switch classes or multi class. I have had Fighters become rogues, Mages become priests etc. Switching classes also creates some interesting stories.

Edited on by Tasuki

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tyranexx

@Tasuki I'll admit I'm not sure on the DM's intentions, though nothing was mentioned about killing our current party at least. If Tyranny used to be two adventure books in one, I wonder if our DM isn't taking this opportunity to treat the second half as a separate adventure...new characters and all. Or if our previous party will be re-introduced as NPCs at some point. Last I knew, our existing party didn't die, but we did vamoose pretty quickly from the floating storm giant castle.

We've not had anyone fully switch classes in my experience, though one player was thinking of multi-classing their new character before settling with (presumably) their final decision.

Not sure if we're meeting this weekend or not. Unless something changes, I do know the full party makeup now. I'd say we're quite the ensemble:

• Half-Orc Oath of Vengeance Paladin
  • Halfling Alchemist Artificer
  • Lizardfolk Way of the Serpent Monk
  • Bugbear Gloom Stalker Ranger

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Tasuki

@Tyranexx I guess maybe that's how they saw it, I just found it odd that's all. Some interesting characters there that's for sure.

As for me, I sadly don't know when I will be gaming again or if it will even be D&D. Mainly its everyone's schedule that is keeping us from playing but also just the way Hasbro is handling D&D has been a disappointment to me. It has just become to commercialized and really generic for my take. I mean I can understand why they are doing what they are doing but to me it just isn't why I enjoyed D&D.

What I loved about D&D was the settings they built. Settings like Greyhawk, Ravenloft, Forgotten Realms etc. With 5e there just isn't any of that. Most of the adventures they put out are one small section of these settings and it just just that. Other adventures just feel as fill in the blanks with your own stuff, which again I know why they do it that way. However at the time it just doesn't feel like the same quality product that was before. Sadly I feel.that way with One D&D as well which is why I will pass on it. Who knows maybe I will look into older D&D God knows I have alot of it, or some of this newer stuff that is coming out like Kobold Press's Tales of the Valaint or something entirely different. But I will be TTRPGing in some way.

RetiredPush Square Moderator and all around retro gamer.

My Backlog

Nintendo Network ID: Tasuki311

Tyranexx

@Tasuki I can fully relate on the scheduling front. We usually don't gauge for a game until mid-week and haven't played for a bit. We understandably skipped this past weekend due to Mother's Day. I know my availability wasn't the most flexible.

I'll admit I haven't been with D&D long enough to specifically relate with you on how it's changed over time, but something similar happened with me and World of Warcraft. There are various reasons why I quit playing, but mainly I just didn't find it fun after Cataclysm (I briefly played some of the free content during Warlords on weekends, which wasn't bad, but still...lacking in some ways). I didn't like how they pruned down talent trees and preferred farming great gear, not relying on heirlooms and power leveling to the finish. The game was more about its story and PVE to me - I was never a big PVP fan - and was more about the journey than destination. Though I fully acknowledge others play for different reasons. Wasn't a fan of how they wrote some characters later on either...especially what they did to Sylvanus. Admittedly I'm not up to date on how her saga ended though.

It's been awhile since I've looked at One D&D stuff since our games very much use 5e, but I do agree there are some similarities. Seems like you miss a lot of the more original world building? Which I agree is important in any worthy setting.

Edit: I do know WoW Classic is a thing, but I'm staying away from game subs for awhile.

Edited on by Tyranexx

Currently playing: Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (Switch), Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Trials and Tribulations (Switch/AAT)

"Love your neighbor as yourself." Mark 12:31

Please login or sign up to reply to this topic